Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review: Haunt Me by Heather Long

Haunt MeHaunt Me by Heather Long 


Expected publication: January 27th 2014 by Entangled: Covet        
Ebook, 175 pages
Series: Stand-Alone
Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance
Heat Rating: Steamy

Amazon Goodreads

Summary from Goodreads

Recently divorced author MacKenzie Dillon has lost her writing mojo. When she inherits her great aunt’s haunted house in Virginia, she is determined to make a new start. The creepy old house provides inspiration but at what cost?

Successful architect and paranormal skeptic Justin Kent returns to Penny Hollow to fulfill his father’s dying wish of revitalizing their small town. To do that, he needs the allegedly haunted estate at Summerfield. Mac, the new owner, may be gorgeous and spunky, but she refuses to sell.

These two have a dangerous history that spans the ages, but will they discover the truth in time to save their lives?


Oh goodness, I simply had to grad this book the moment I learned it was about a haunting and a ghost. Paranormal stories with ghosts in them have always been my thing, so it's always wonderful to spot a new book with the theme in it.

Recently coming off from a divorce, the last thing MacKenzie expected was for her estranged aunt to leave her Summerfield home in her name. It wasn't what Justin Kent was expecting either. Returning to Penny Hollow in order to fulfill his own father's dying wish into revitalizing their small town and Summerfield home was promised by the old lady to go to him. It's the only thing that stands between him and his family inheritance, and MacKenzie Dillon is not willing to sell.

The new home has bought back MacKenzie's muse after losing it thanks to her ex-husband and a nasty divorce. With not much cash into her name, MacKenzie finds herself drawn to the house and it's heartbreaking mystery.

Oh gosh I really did enjoy this book. I liked Heather Long's story telling about up until the very end when the back started to move forward in quick snippets and left me a bit puzzle. Outside of the quick wrap up and a few confusing moments, Haunt Me had the ghosts I wanted to see. I enjoyed trying to learn about what happened at the house and to the ghosts that haunts it. The story was exciting, and touching and the conclusion to MacKenzie's book thought predictable, still caught me in a whirlwind.

I liked the characters, Justin mostly. Mac had left me quiet angry at times. Especially when she started to compare Justin to her ex-husband Kevin, and took his support for her writing the book and made it out like he was trying to benefit from her writing and money. When poor Justin had never given her any reason to, outside of the fact that he befriended her in hopes that she would change her mind about selling him the house - at first.

The relationship between Mac and Justin was a slow but sweet build up, which I definitely did not mind. I found myself engrossed in the story until the very end, it's just a shame that it seemed to wrap up so...hasty.



4 comments:

  1. I love a good ghostly read, but it is a shame that the ending is lacking. I am an ending person and I hate when things aren't explained throughly. At least the romance is a slow burn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fast, fun read and I love romantic suspense but when you add in a little paranormal woo-woo it makes me tingle! so glad you enjoyed this Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good book about ghosts and hauntings as well. A little put off by the fact that Mac isn't all that lovable but it sounds like Justin more than makes up for her shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds good. Well, despite how the ending went. I like these little books by Entangled, so I might grab this.

    ReplyDelete